Being a nurse practitioner, you can become the patient’s primary health care provider. You will obtain the patient’s history, order diagnostic test, complete physical exams, and interpret each diagnostic results. You will be treating both physical and mental condition of the patient, and also prescribing the right medication for them. All of these responsibilities are yours after completing any of the different nurse practitioner programs, obtain a license, and become an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN).
Nurse practitioners are registered nurses who provide advanced nursing care in a variety of specialized practices. They completed a master’s degree or a doctoral degree program. After having a degree, the registered nurse will still need to pass the national licensure exam for nurse practitioners and get a license before one can start to look for a job and become an NP. Nurse practitioners can acquire additional credentials such as certified family nurse practitioners, certified pediatric nurse practitioners, and many others. The American Nurses Credentialing Center and the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners are just some of the organizations that offer certifications in nursing. These organizations usually work with academic institutions to identify appropriate standards for advanced study and certification.
Nurse Practitioner Programs Made Easy
Obtaining these advanced nurse practitioner programs are made easy nowadays because you can have them already on your internet. There are so many organizations and colleges today offering different online courses and programs that you can choose from. These programs are also usually less expensive if compared to the traditional campus style college. You don’t have to attend on-site classes with these online programs. It offers flexibility to study and work. This flexibility allows students to continue to work at their regular jobs without any interruption in their duties. They do not have to purchase those expensive books because they have the advantage of using the Internet to do their research.
Advantage Of Online Nurse Practitioner Programs
• Learning pace is not controlled by a specific schedule. You can set your own pace to learn.
• It is more convenient since you can schedule your classes or learning period during your free time.
• The cost for online programs is less than traditional courses.
• If you are currently practicing or volunteering as a registered nurse, you can work out your learning period so that it would not clash with your practice session at your local hospital.
• Save time and traveling cost since you do not have to travel just to attend your classes.
• You can also save on accommodation cost especially if your college is far from your home.
Disadvantage Of Online Nurse Practitioner Programs
• Since the learning process is entirely up to you, taking up online programs requires sheer determination and self-discipline.
• Interaction with instructors is often limited during specific time only.
• Instructors need to be comfortable with teaching online, as this might be new to them, and would require more time to adapt to the new environment.
• If the instructor is unable to adapt, you might face problems due to lack of materials or interactions with instructors.
• You would be distracted with your surroundings, so you need to set up a special area for you to study.
• You need to invest on the equipment based on your online program’s requirements, if you do not already own them.
Online nurse practitioner programs are good especially for those people who must continue to work while completing their studies. No matter which online nurse practitioner program you choose, you must have with you the most important features that one needs in order to succeed. These are self-discipline, focus, and proper determination to achieve all your goals.